The RT Biker Story

In the fall of 2004, October, I purchased a 1974 Harley Davidson, which was made of all old parts, from 1952-1974. Anyone with knowledge of motorcycles knew it was a homebuilt motorcycle because on the title it is listed as a 1974 ASM. It was a kick-start only motorcycle. This wasn’t a good thing, since I was having severe chest pains. So, since I had been studying Harley Davidson engines for my whole life, I started trying to figure out how to tell what cycle the engine was in. By determining the cycle, I could pre-prime the cylinders with fuel, so I could start the motorcycle on the first kick. A new idea was born.

If I had a way to determine when the front intake valve was open, I could manually put fuel in the intake valve. This is when I came up with the idea of having a clear tube to watch the pushrod move up and down. I devised a quick access in a stock S & S air cleaner so I could access the intake track on this engine. I then started the process of making adapters for the polycarbonate tubing. I made the first adapter out of mild steel with O-Ring seals on the inner surface. There was irregularity of the diameter of the polycarbonate when produced. I needed to look for something else. Another factor for moving away from the polycarbonate is because hot oil from the engine caused tube expansion, thus losing all of its sealing capability. This final attempt at polycarbonate was abandoned as of December of 2004.

This started a quest for a better way of doing this project. I started looking into what was used in sight glasses on machines with hot oil. I called a test man with Gits Mfrg, which makes sight glass for industrial applications. This expert told me that they used borosilicate for their sight glass. So, I got on the computer and started searching for this product. I went to Winship Site searching for this product. I went to the Winship Site searching for their sight glass and they had charts on the inside and the outside diameter of the tubing, and also the thickness of the borosilicate. With these measurements I started making prints for the adapters to fit this old motorcycle. I made these adapters of one size and I had to make a special one for the front exhaust so this would clear the magneto on this old bike.. Which by this time I had named the bike, Old Charlie….after the infamous Charles Manson and Helter Skelter.

I found, for appearance, that chroming would be needed. So, I changed the adapter to 6061 T6 aluminum instead of mild steel. This eliminated the need for the chroming of the parts/adapters. These adapters sealed to the borosilicate on the inside diameter and the tube set on an o-ring. This borosilicate was 32mmX2.8mmwall thickness. I used this set up for all of 2005. It worked out wonderful for my motorcycle, and I was very happy with the design. I rode it everywhere. The only problem was the inside tolerance of the borosilicate varied so much it would be necessary to custom design each adapter, eliminating the ability of mass production. The cost was so prohibitive, it would be impossible to mass produce. I had a lot of riders wanting to purchase the pushrod covers, so I started researching the marketability of a new type that could be mass produces. This was also due to the fact that these would not fit on a 1984 and up motorcycle. So, I started researching the newest design of the present evolution engines. In approximately October of 2005 I came up with a totally new design to accommodate all from 1953 – present-45 degree, v-twin engines. I have tested this design on hot engines, spraying the covers with cold water, simulating real-life scenarios and have found them to be trouble free, as of now. This is the third and final design. We currently have a patent pending status on the Clear View Push Rod Covers.